Our investment process leverages the team’s significant expertise.
Our team’s background in basic science, clinical development and commercialisation enables a holistic understanding of the opportunity, from the scientific basis through to the commercial opportunity. More specifically, the Syncona team conducts a rigorous returns analysis for existing investments ahead of each portfolio company financing round, and re-evaluates the original investment thesis.
We have a hands-on approach, often taking operational roles, and work in partnership with the management teams of our companies to deliver the best results.
Data driven investment process
- Proactive search by team for investable therapeutic areas, technology and appropriate assets
Ideal characteristics of a scientific asset
Other key decision-making factors
- Intellectual property
- Globally leading academics
Our disciplined investment approach
- Investment Committee assessment of capital invested across the portfolio to ensure it remains diversified and well balanced
- Assess probability of success for the product’s approval, taking into account benchmarks if relevant or appropriate
- Write business plan and develop plan to build out team and operational capability
- Analyse competitive landscape
- Assess the long-term capital requirements, key risks and value inflection points
- Undertake rigorous returns analysis
- Analyse all academic literature and data available
Hands on build out: scaling our companies for success
- Ongoing evaluation of emerging data and analysis of evolving competitive landscape
- Continued disciplined allocation of capital