- Khurem Farooq
- Peter Lachmann
- % Shareholding
- Number of employees
- Raised in a Series C financing in March 2021
- Clinical programmes
Unless stated all data at 31 December 2020
Gyroscope is developing gene therapy beyond rare disease to treat a leading cause of blindness, dry age-related macular degeneration (dry-AMD).
Gyroscope was founded to explore the convergence of advancements made in the understanding of the complement system’s impact on eye disease, the genetic basis of dry AMD and gene therapy as a mode of sustained treatment delivery. Gyroscope’s gene therapy seeks to treat dry AMD by delivering the target protein in a safe and effective manner using Adeno-Associated Virus (AAV) technology.
AMD, a retinal disease, is the leading cause of irreversible blindness in people aged 50 and older. Today there is no effective treatment for the atrophic, dry, form of the disease the late stage of which is known as geographic atrophy (GA). Through their proprietary delivery system, Gyroscope also have significant surgical device development and surgeon training capabilities.
- Seeking to take application of gene therapy beyond rare diseases to treat dry AMD sub-retinally
Unmet medical need
- AMD is one of the leading causes of permanent vision impairment for people aged 65 and older with no approved treatments
- Initial population of an estimated 3.5 million people in the US & EU5 with GA, late stage dry AMD
- Highly innovative concept
- Biological link to clinical outcome
* Gyroscope analysis
The Gyroscope Therapeutics pipeline
Dry AMD - HORIZON
Dry AMD - EXPLORE
Dry AMD - FOCUS