- Richard Francis
- Professor Moin Saleem Professor Mauro Giacca
- % Shareholding
- Raised in a Series A in November 2020
Unless stated all financials at 30 June 2021
Purespring seeks to advance gene therapies for the treatment of chronic renal diseases that are currently poorly addressed with existing treatments.
Purespring is one of the first AAV gene therapy companies focused on the kidney globally and will seek to treat a number of debilitating chronic diseases that are currently poorly addressed with existing therapies. It has been founded around the seminal work of Professor Moin Saleem, Head of Bristol Renal where he heads a world leading group researching glomerular diseases.
Purespring has also established an in-vivo functional screening platform, FunSel, to initially screen for protective factors that could have applications across several kidney diseases. FunSel has been developed by Professor Mauro Giacca, a leader in gene therapy of cardiovascular disorders, and provides Purespring with a target discovery platform uniquely suited to systematically move gene therapy beyond monogenic disorders.
- Opportunity to take a global lead in renal gene therapy
Unmet medical need
- A number of chronic kidney diseases are poorly addressed by existing therapies, which are primarily based around the lowering of blood pressure and often progressing to dialysis and kidney transplantation.
- Opportunity encompasses rare monogenic diseases, as well as much more prevalent common forms of kidney disease.
- Highly innovative concept in emerging space
The Purespring Therapeutics pipeline