- Tom Anderson
- Florian Eichler
- % Shareholding
- Number of employees
- Raised in a Series B in May 2022
Unless stated all financials at 30 September 2023.
SwanBio Therapeutics is a gene therapy company developing leading-edge medicines to deliver dramatic clinical efficacy for the treatment of genetically defined neurological conditions.
SwanBio Therapeutics is dedicated to developing genetic medicines for the treatment of serious neurological diseases with significant unmet need.
Founded in partnership with industry leaders with a commitment to positively impacting the lives of people with neurological diseases, SwanBio merges clinical, scientific and drug commercialisation expertise.
SwanBio is using adeno-associated viruses (AAVs) to deliver therapeutic genes directly to the central nervous system to achieve profound therapeutic effects. Clinical studies have shown AAVs can be promising vectors for delivering therapeutic DNA and have been shown to be safe and effective in multiple clinical trials, including in other neurological disorders.
SwanBio is developing an AAV-based gene therapy for a rare inherited neurodegenerative disease in which the causative gene is definitively known and well characterised. While their initial focus is on diseases that are both rare and serious, the broader vision is understanding the origin and treatment of disorders where therapeutic DNA has the potential to treat a range of neurological illnesses.
- Gene therapy has the potential be transformational in neurology
- Lead programme targeting Adrenomyeloneuropathy (AMN), an inherited neurodegenerative disease in which the causative gene is definitively known and well characterised
- One-off delivery mechanism and multiple tractable pipeline programmes
Unmet medical need
- Hundreds of single gene neurological disorders with poor or no treatment options
- Lead programme targeting one of the most common monogenic neurological disorders, a severely debilitating progressive movement disorder with no available therapies
- AMN impacts 8,000-10,000 male patients in the US and EU5
* SwanBio analysis
The SwanBio Therapeutics pipeline
SBT101 - AMN